UF CARD Gainesville Provides the following services, free of charge, in the 14 Florida counties we serve (listed below):
- Technical Assistance (to schools and school districts)
- Consultation (to parents and care providers)
- Resource Referral
- Public Education
Counties Served by UF CARD Gainesville: Alachua, Bradford, Citrus, Columbia, Dixie, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Hernando, Lafayette, Levy, Marion, Putnam, Suwannee, Union
- Eric Barasch – Marion County
- Jovon Howard – Alachua County
- Trish Thoburn – Alachua County
- Kathleen Kopacz – Alachua County
- Bill Lawless, VICE-CHAIR – Alachua County
CARD in Florida
Florida is home to many individuals with autism and related disabilities. In response to the needs of these people and their families, seven regional, nonresidential resource centers have been established at the following locations:
- The University of Florida/Gainesville (this website)
- The University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville
- The University of South Florida
- The University of Miami
- The University of Central Florida
- Florida Atlantic University
- Florida State University
Philosophy and Policies
CARD is founded on the strong belief that:
- All individuals, regardless of their abilities or disabilities, have the right to live as full participants in society.
- All people have the right to be treated with dignity and understanding.
- People with disabilities are members of families. All families have strengths and capacities and have the right to be treated with sensitivity and respect, and as integral members of a person’s system of support.
- People with autism and related disabilities have the right to be regarded as individuals who need services and supports that are based on their unique characteristics.
- As a policy, CARD will not lend its name to the endorsement of any specific program, practice, or model that is offered for service to people with autism and related disabilities. This policy does not preclude the provision of referral options or individualized recommendations by CARD staff, nor does it imply that CARD staff are to refrain from sharing any knowledge or personal experiences. The sharing of information, training, and the development of recommendations are key functions of the CARD programs.
Watch a short (under 9 minutes) video that provides an introduction to our services. This video was created for new constituents, but may be helpful to others interested in learning more about what we do.
If you have any comments or questions please email us at email@example.com.
View the transcript.
A History of CARD at UF and in Florida
Listen to the CARDcast featuring Greg Valcante and Art Wallen talking about the history of CARD.