Spotlight on Internet Safety
The Top Ten Mistakes Teens and Tweens Make on Social Media (For Parents/Caregiver)
This is a recording of a presentation by Lori Smith for UF CARD on 11/15/17. The recording will be posted for a limited time because information on this topic changes so quickly.
About the Presenter: Lori Smith is a shareholder in the Orlando law firm of Zimmerman, Kiser and Sutcliffe, where she has practiced law since graduating from the University of Florida school of law in 1995. Over the past 20 years, Lori has built a boutique practice as a private education lawyer, representing independent schools throughout the State of Florida. For the past 5 years she has been a frequent lecturer on social media usage by teens and tweens, speaking around the state with her popular presentations “The Top Ten Mistakes Teens Make on Social Media” and “Smart Social Media Usage: How Teens can use Social Media to Build a Positive Brand.” It’s Lori’s goal to give teens straightforward, timely, real world examples of how social media mistakes can impact their future. Lori also speaks to parents of teens and tweens educating them on the social media habits of teens and the social media violations that can most often impact school enrollment, and limit future opportunities.
- Learn about the most common mistakes teens and tweens make on social media and how it impacts their future.
- Understand the legal implications of social media mistakes
- Learn how to monitor children to avoid school disciplinary issues
- Learn about new Apps popular with teens and the risks involved
Part 1 – https://youtu.be/AkuL6lXsbCw
Part 2 – https://youtu.be/_wXQgCHo8OM
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE PRESENTATION
- Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation – https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/
- Webwise Internet Safety – https://www.webwise.ie/
- Common Sense Media – https://www.commonsensemedia.org/
- Wired Safety – http://www.wiredsafety.com/
- Being 13 – http://www.cnn.com/specials/us/being13
- The Secret Social Lives of Teenagers – https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/well/family/the-secret-social-media-lives-of-teenagers.html
- Autism Speaks
- Center on Secondary Education for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Parent Info
- Parents Protect UK
- Autism Toolbox Scotland
- National Autistic Society
- University of Utah
- Center on Transition
- Online Safety for Children and Teens on the Autism Spectrum: A parent’s and carer’s guide
by Nicola Lonie
- Autism LIVE Internet Safety- Homeland Security’s David Fallon (Pt 1)
- Autism LIVE Internet Safety- Homeland Security’s David Fallon (Pt 2)
- Common Sense Media Internet Safety Tips for Kids
- Social Work Stuff Internet Safety Stuff
Information video about internet safety adapted for adults with autism or learning disabilities.